Whether you are a seasoned professional or new to the print industry, it’s likely that you would have already come across the third party (or alternative) ink debate, in which concerns have been raised over assurances made without insight into potential consequences.
The quality, colour and durability of a chosen ink are essential in producing high quality graphics and long-lasting prints; therefore, it is imperative that you are aware of all the facts around third party and manufacturer inks and so you can make an informed decision as to which is the best for your business.
With so many conflicting reports, what are the facts?
- Third party inks naturally have a lower level of compatibility with machines compared to manufacturer inks which have been specifically designed with manufacturer machines in mind to deliver maximum performance and efficiency
- This lower compatibility level can result in unexpected machine faults which could end up costing your business money to fix, particularly as use of third party inks can void insurance warranties
- Third party inks can also contribute to the slow depreciation of a machine’s performance overtime, and can also result in increased downtime for head cleaning and maintenance
- The use of third party inks can accelerate the need to replace your machine’s costly parts, which will subsequently increase overhead costs
- Third party inks sometimes lack available media profiles, so the ink that is laid down on the media could be greater than you need, and therefore cost you more, and the quality of the output could be affected too
- Indefinite ingredients sometimes found within third party inks have been proven to cause damage to eco-friendly and high-end substrates, eliminating any increased margin on print runs
- And it is important safety-wise when using inks to understand what ingredients that an ink contains. With many third party inks it is not always 100% clear, whereas Roland ensures that this information is publicly and easily available to all customers.
Why run the risk?
Inks are arguably the most important tool that print professionals will use to perform their job properly yet when speaking to print professionals we often find there is a lack of educational material available to inform them about the potential downfall of using third party inks.
But even when professionals are aware of the problems that third party inks can cause, sometimes the option of using these inks can still be an attractive one with customers promised savings of up to 30% and alleged cheaper running costs.
Despite the switch to third party inks seeming initially like a cost-effective move, often the savings do not add up with customers even finding themselves hit financially. Roland DG proprietary inks boast an unrivaled quality output, as well as impressive productivity levels that save you money in the long-run and so why run the risks that come with third party inks?
How we can help?
In a market that is more congested than ever before, it is critical for professionals from across the print industry to continue to find ways to drive down overheads costs in order to maximise their profit margins.
Our proprietary inks – named ECO-SOL MAX – are specifically designed to complement our machinery ensuring high quality outputs, optimum machine performance and elongated machine lifetime. You would be forgiven for assuming that guaranteed quality comes at a cost but our inks are developed in line with the latest technology to guarantee maximum efficiency with every print run – saving you money in the long run.
Reliability is the key to a great partnership and as the UK’s leading manufacturer of wide-format digital inkjet printers for durable graphics, you can trust we understand our machines and products better than anyone else. Not only this but our Roland DG Care support packages are also designed to work in synergy with our machines and inks to give you the added reassurance and security that third party inks do not provide. Our dedicated customer service processes ensures that we are here to help you, whatever your need.
So next time you’re asked where you stand on the third party versus proprietary inks debate, make sure you can confidently tell your customers that you opt for the reliable, premium choice with Roland DG.
#WithRoland you keep on getting.
CLICK HERE to read about how MediaMouse saved on ink costs.